What is temporary residence?

A temporary permit (for a specific period) to reside and engage into activities allowed by law.

Can I apply for a “Visa de Residencia Temporal” abroad?

Yes, you must apply on https://serviciosconsulares.cl/tramites/site/tax/port/all/taxport_14___1.html

What types of “Visa de Residencia Temporal” are there? 

There are 3 types:

  • “Visa Sujeta a Contrato”: Allows you to engage in legal remunerated activities exclusively with the employer with whom you signed a contract to apply for this residence permit. It has a validity of 2 years maximum; it is indefinitely extendable, although you can apply for a “Permanencia Definitiva” after two continuous years of having a “Visa Sujeta a Contrato”. The end of the contract will immediately ends the visa validity.
  • “Visa Temporaria”: Allows you to engage in any legal activity. It has a validity of 1 year, extendable for 1 more year, afterwards you must apply for a “Permanencia Definitiva” or leave the country.
    The following foreigners can apply for this visa:
    • Family bond with Chilean people, or “Permanencia Definitiva” holders.
    • “Unión civil” with a Chilean person, visa holder or “Permanencia Definitiva” holder.
    • Children born in Chile, whose parents’ immigration status was tourist or crewmember at the date of birth.
    • Former resident (foreigners whose residence in Chile has lost its validity).
    • Religious people.
    • Retired, people with private income and bondholder.
    • Investors and businessmen/businesswomen.
    • Professionals and superior technicians.
    • Employees with 2 or more contracts.
    • Employees paid abroad.
    • Journalists or media professionals.
    • Pregnant women and medical treatment.
    • Children and adolescents.
    • Argentinian, Bolivian, Paraguayan, and Uruguayan people (Mercosur).
  • “Visa de Estudiante”: Allows you to study in state-recognized educational institutions. Has a validity of a year maximum, or the same validity of the scholarship, in case of having it. It is extendable until the completion of the studies, afterwards it will allow you to apply for a “Permanencia Definitiva”. 


What are the requirements to apply for a “Visa de Residencia Temporal”?

There are specific requirements for each type of visa:


How much is it?

It depends on the type of the residence permit and the nationality of the foreigner. You can check the fee table on https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/aranceles/


If I have a family bond with a Chilean person, what type of visa should I apply for?

You may apply for a “Visa Temporaria” if u have a first degree family bond with a Chilean person:

  • Father or mother of a Chilean person.
  • Spouse of a Chilean person.
  • Child of a Chilean person.


At the time of submitting a visa application, am I allowed working immediately?

If you want to work while your application is in process, you must request a work permit for visa applicants. The cost is 50% of the “Visa Sujeta a Contrato” depending on the nationality. 

The residence visa:

  • Allows you to work once the visa is stamped. 
  • Allows working only to visa holders, not dependents.



May I work with a “Visa de estudiante”?

You will be able to work once doing the internship, or when it is needed to pay for studies. 


Once I have my residence permit, what do I have to do?

From September 23, 2020, every foreigner granted with a visa in Chile as a holder or dependent, may obtain an electronic certificate of residence. In the case of dependents, they shall download the “Estampado Electrónico” a week after the visa holder has activated and downloaded his/her own. 


Once I have activated and downloaded my “Estampado Electrónico”, what do I have to do?

In case of a first visa, you will have to register it at “Policía de Investigaciones de Chile (PDI)” on https://pdivirtual.cerofilas.gob.cl/. Then, you will have to make an appointment at “Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación” to obtain the “Cédula de Identidad para extranjeros”.


If I had an employment contract, but it was terminated, what do I have to do?

  • If you had a “Visa Sujeta a Contrato”, it expires automatically. You have 180 days from the termination of the contract to regularize your immigration status submitting a new visa application.
  • If you had a “Visa temporaria, Visa de Estudiante o Permanencia Definitiva” it will not affect your status.


What are my rights as a foreigner employee in Chile?

Generally, you have the same rights as any Chilean employee, but specific exceptions ordered by law, such as limitations to work in public administration or compliance of the limit of 15% foreign employees in companies.


If I have a “Visa Sujeta a Contrato” and I change my employer, but he/she is part of the same holding company than my previous employer, do I need to change my visa?

If there is no settlement, you may just communicate it by letter.

If there is a settlement, you must apply for a “Cambio de calidad de visa” before the 180 given days, from the contract termination. 


If I have a “Visa Sujeta a Contrato” for 2 years, what residence permits may I apply for?

You may apply for a “prórroga de Visa Sujeta a Contrato” (https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/trabajar-en-chile/visa-sujeta-a-contrato/prorroga/) or a “Permanencia Definitiva” (https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en-chile/permanencia-definitiva/).


If I have a “Visa Temporaria” for a year, what residence permits may I apply for?

You may apply for a “prórroga de Visa Temporaria” (https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en-chile/visa-temporaria/prorroga/) or a “Permanencia Definitiva” (https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en-chile/permanencia-definitiva/). If you have a “visa temporaria” for 2 years, you must apply for the “Permanencia Definitiva” or leave the country.


If I have a “Visa de Estudiante” for 2 years and I finished my studies, what residence permits may I apply for?

You may apply for a “Visa de Residencia Temporaria” (https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en-chile/visa-temporaria/) or a “Permanencia Definitiva” (https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en-chile/permanencia-definitiva/).