1. What is the objective of this decree?

As a result of the world pandemic and in order to help prevent the spread of the virus among the massive number of foreign residents (who regularly attend the offices of the Civil Registry and Identification Service, the following actions have been taken: foreigners who have an expired ID card and have applied for a resident visa extension, change of their residence visa or permanent residence currently in progress, will be granted a time extension to continue with their immigration procedures. Moreover, it will allow them to run errands that may require an ID card. 


Important: Applicants will benefit from this extension, so that they can present it at banks, notary offices, policemen, employers, as well as to obtain a driver's license.


2. Who benefits from this?

All foreigners who have submitted an application for an extension of their resident visa, change of their residence visa or have applied for the permanent residence can benefit from this decree. The benefit is available as long as all applications have already been submitted for processing, and if the ID cards had expired during this time, while waiting for a response from Extranjería. In the case of expired ID cards during the years 2019, 2020 or 2021, the extension will be until February 28, 2022.


3. How does the 1-year extension period for expired ID cards work in this decree (2019-2020-2021)?

Those applying for their residence visa, change of residence visa or permanent residence currently in progress, and whose ID cards expired in 2019 are eligible. Therefore, their ID cards will be valid until February 28, 2022.


4. Does that mean that this decree extended my Visa for one year?

No. This decree extended the validity of the expired ID card for one year to those who have expired during 2020, 2021 until February 28, 2022. This extension applies to all of those who applied for a residency visa extension, change of residency visa or permanent residence currently in progress, and before the expiration of their ID card. However, you must continue to wait for a response from the Department of Extranjería y Migración regarding your pending application.



5. My ID card expires in two months, so does that mean that with this decree I do not have to present documents to renew my visa because it will be extended for one year?

No. The immigration legislation has not been modified, so you must present the documentation to extend your residence visa, change it or apply for your permanent residence before the expiration date of your identity card. The 1-year extension period applies to ID cards that expired in the 2020 period, and to those that expired in the 2019 period until February 28, 2022.

Please remember to submit your application for the extension of your residence visa, change of residence visa or permanent residence within 90 days prior to the expiration date of your permit.


6. I lost my expired ID card, what do I do?

Unfortunately, the Civil Registry does not issue ID cards under these circumstances. You must continue the process with the Department of Extranjería and Migración alongside proof of the visa application, a document that provides you with legal status while your application is being reviewed by Extranjería.


7. Who is not covered by this decree?

To expired ID cards prior to 01/01/2019 and to foreigners whose applications for a residence visa, change of residence visa or permanent residence are no longer in progress. To those who did not submit documents to extend their visa or did not apply for Permanent Residence before their ID cards expired in 2019 and 2020.

(Note: If you have an expired ID card from 2019 or 2020 and you did not submit documentation to renew the visa and now you have the documents, please make a calculation and payment of the corresponding fine, and then send the application to Extranjería so that your expired ID card is enabled).


8. Does this decree apply to renew my temporary visa as a refugee applicant?

No. Refugee applicants have a different legislation than the one of Extranjería.


19. If I am out of the country and I currently have a Visa in progress, can I return to Chile with my expired ID card?

In this case, you must bring your expired ID card with any of the following documents: letter of acceptance, the request form, proof of your permanent residence or letter of approval of the visa (carta de acogida a trámite, formulario, comprobante de Permanencia Definitiva o carta de aprobación de la Visa). Must present it to the airline and to the immigration authorities of both countries. Remember that you must also bring a valid passport.