If you need to translate any documents to apply to any requests or access certain formal documentation in our department, please read the following article. 

Before submitting your application, you should ask the institution where the translation is to be submitted, if the original document should be properly legalized or apostilled. 

If the document bears an electronic signature from a public entity, it can be legalized or apostilled directly in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MINREL). It is important that you translate your document from English to Spanish prior to submitting the documents. 


  • If the document bears a traditional signature and is to be presented in a country that is not a member of the 1961 Hague Convention, it should be legalized first at the designated institution and then at MINREL. 
  • If the document bears a traditional signature and is to be presented in a member country of the 1961 Hague Convention, it should also be legalized and apostilled at the designated institution. 


The Translations Department translates from a foreign language into Spanish and vice versa.  In addition, it provides interpretation services for special events such as marriage celebrations taking place in the city of Santiago.   

Important: All documents must be translated in the MINREL. 

What is the cost?

The cost and timeframes of every translation depend on the language, the length, the type of document and how quickly the document needs to be translated. For more information, please contact the Translations Department. 

What languages does the Department currently have for translations?

  • English-Spanish / Spanish-English
  • French-Spanish / Spanish-French
  • German-Spanish / Spanish-German
  • Portuguese-Spanish / Spanish-Portuguese
  • Spanish

For more information go to this link:  https://minrel.gob.cl/minrel_old/site/artic/20080721/pags/20080721154032.html