What does the Application for Permanent Residence consist of?
It is the permission granted to foreigners who have a valid resident visa, to reside indefinitely and engage in any lawful activity in Chile. It is a requirement that they have not been out of the country for more than 180 days during the term of the visa.
1.1 What requirements must be met in order to apply for Permanent Residence (PeDe)?
- One year of temporary visa (for 1 year).
- Two consecutive years of visa Sujeta a Contrato, as long as there is continuity (with one or different employers). Important: Continuity is maintained when there is less than 90 days between one visa and another.
- Have at least two years of Student Visa (as long as High School or professional studies have been completed).
- Have not been out of the country for more than 180 days (since they have been granted a visa).
1.2 What documents must be submitted?
Please, go to extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en-chile/permanencia-definitiva, where you can find: general documentation, documents according to your family ties, activities you exercise, income and/or economic support and documentation according to another specific group.
- Please note that it is mandatory to present a criminal and/or judicial record from the country of origin for all nationalities, properly legalized or apostilled.
- In the case that the applicant has a relationship (son-daughter, spouse, common-law partner or father-mother) proof that their permanent residence is still valid will not be required. It will be processed internally by the PDI.
1.3 Where can PeDe applications be submitted?
- All other nationalities must submit their applications for Permanent Residence directly at tramites.extranjeria.gob.cl with ClaveÚnica.
During the different stages of the procedure, what should we know?
Summary of Immigration Benefit Statements
2.1 Application Status for Permanent Residence in Process (Consultation on Immigration Benefits)
Message sent depending on the Stage
What can you do?
Your application for Permanent Residence was received
This allows you to leave and return to the country , and you may also engage in lawful remunerated activities.
Important: You may leave and return to the country, as long as the PeDe Application (PeDe in Process) is still valid. Some countries will be required a consular visa to come back to Chile.
Application for Permanent Residence accepted for processing and filed.
With Proof of the Application (PeDe in Process), you can leave and return to the country, as well as engage in lawful remunerated activities.
Permanent Residence application for primary information analysis: document review
Your Application for Permanent Residence is in different stages of document review.
Permanent Residence application for secondary information analysis: document analysis
Your Permanent Residence application is being processed for secondary Document Analysis by the Department of Extranjería and Migración.
Permanent Residence application for primary information analysis: document analysis
Your Permanent Residence application is in process for primary analysis: document review.
Permanent Residence application for specific documentation analysis
Your Permanent Residence application is in the process of being analyzed by the Department of Extranjería and Migración.
Permanent Residence application with draft resolution
Your Permanent Residence application is in the last stage of analysis by the Department of Extranjería and Migración, to then issue the resolution of either acceptance or rejection according to your case.
Permanent Residence application with certificate granted
You must now download the certificate from tramites.extranjeria.gob.cl to complete the process.
Permanent Residence application NOT accepted for processing
The Department of Extranjería and Migración will send you by e-mail the reason why the application was not accepted and the steps to follow.
Permanent Residence application with certificate approved
The PeDe Certificate must no longer be registered at PDI, as it is done internally.
Within 4 weeks since you downloaded the PeDe Certificate, Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación will contact you to schedule a time to request an Identity Card.
Permanent Residence application rejected
The Department of Extranjería and Migración will send you a certified letter with the resolution of the rejection, which will contain the details of the rejection and the steps to follow.
Permanent Residence application rejected, but with visa granted
The Department of Extranjería and Migración will inform you by certified letter why the visa was rejected, and the steps to follow to activate your electronic visa. In order to do so, you must download it from extranjeria.gob.cl and then complete the electronic visa process. Within 4 weeks, Registro Civil will contact you to schedule a time to request an Identity Card.
Permanent Residence application rejected/No Temporary Visa
The Department of Extranjeria and Migración will send you a certified letter with the administrative resolution and the reasons for the rejection, which will include the details and steps to follow.
In case you do not receive the letter at the address provided in your application, we recommend you to request it to the Department of Extranjería and Migración through the link of active transparency, located at www.interior.gob.cl/.
2.2 Why are there Continuity Problems when submitting a new PeDe Application?
- If the Visa has expired:
The applicant must calculate the fine, which will enable the DNI/RUT to be entered in the PeDe application.
To do this you must:
1. Go to the extranjeria.gob.cl
2. Click on the "Trámites Digitales" (Digital Procedures) tab.
3. You must look in the list of procedures for the banner "Calculo de Multa" (Fine Calculation). It is recommended that you pay online. By making the electronic transfer, it will activate automatically to submit the PeDe Request.
- If the visa is still valid:
You must click on the highlighted area in light blue color that says
"Requerimiento Formulario Permanencia Definitiva.”
- Fill out the form indicated in the red oval.
- Why are there Continuity Problems when validating Criminal Record Certificates from the country of origin?
- Error in the entry of the identification number.
- The document number entered is not associated with the entry of a Permanent Residence Application as of September 30.
- The applicant is a minor (No Criminal Record Certificate is required).
- Where can I follow up or consult the status of the process?
Immigration Benefits Status Inquiry
Type of Access
Consultation only with the person's RUT.
For Visas and PeDe
Type of Access
- For minors under the age of 14
With the PeDe Application Results, what should we know?
Before the DEM grants the benefit: What must the applicant do?
- The Permanent Residence Permit will be granted upon payment of the fee.
- Go to extranjeria.gob.cl/aranceles
- Minors under the age of 18, as well as the spouse of a Chilean citizen with a registered marriage in the country, are exempt from payment.
- Paid by Money Order. It is not necessary to have it sent to Extranjeria or the Provincial Government. The payment is processed automatically.
If the DEM rejects the Pede Application, what should the person do?
There are two options if the DEM rejects the PeDe Application:
- PeDe Rejection (with abandonment).
The DEM will inform by registered letter of the reasons. The applicant will have 15 days after the notification to leave the country.
- Rejection of the PeDe, but granting a Temporary Visa.
1. After the notification, the process will go through administrative proceedings to come up with a resolution by the Ministry of Interior.
2. Currently, the resolution is taking an additional 80 days. This extra time does not generate fines.
3. With the resolution, the Electronic Visa will be activated.
- With both rejections the applicant will be able to present reconsideration. The requirements and the form can be found in the web page, under "vivir en Chile".
1. The DEM grants the benefit of the Permanent Residence.
- Activation of the Certificate of Permanent Residence:
The activation is done automatically at the time of downloading the Certificate. In the upper right corner you will see the date of activation.
3.4 What steps must be followed to Register your Permanent Residence?
For reasons of interoperability, they are registered digitally by the Department of Extranjería and Migración and these are sent directly to the Registro Civil (Civil Registry).
3.5 What steps must be followed to obtain an Identity Card at the Registro Civil?
Schedule an appointment to obtain an Identity Card
Registro Civil will contact you
1. Schedule an appointment at registrocivil.cl/principal/servicios-en-linea/agendar-hora-cedulaidentidad
2. Call 600 370 2000
3. In person at the Registro Civil offices (only regions).
- Documents to obtain an Identity Card:
Registro Civil requires the Certificate of Permanent Residence issued by the Ministry of the Interior.
3.5 How do I validate my Digital Permanency Certificate?
To complete this process, go to https://tramites.extranjeria.gob.cl/ and click on "Certificado de Permanencia Definitiva Digital".
3.5 How do I request an extension of my Permanent Residence?
To complete this process, go to https://tramites.extranjeria.gob.cl/ and click on "Ampliación de Permanencia Definitiva en Trámite" (Extension of Permanent Residence in process). If your extension is not available, you can send a help ticket to the SIAC platform.
[DV1]Consultar si el criterio sigue siendo el mismo. En su momento, se podía salir y regresar al país, siempre y cuando la solicitud estuviese vigente. Esto implicaría que algunos países tuvieran que solicitar un visto consular para poder regresar a Chile.